Forest Park (St. Louis)
Forest Park is a public park in western St. Louis, Missouri. It is a prominent civic center and covers 1,326 acres (5. 37 km2). Opened in 1876, more than a decade after its proposal, the park has hosted several significant events, including the Louisiana Purchase Exposition of 1904 and the 1904 Summer Olympics. Bounded by Washington University in St. Louis, Skinker Boulevard, Lindell Boulevard, Kingshighway Boulevard, and Oakland Avenue, it is known as the "Heart of St. Louis" and features a variety of attractions, including the St. Louis Zoo, the St. Louis Art Museum, the Missouri History Museum, and the St. Louis Science Center. Since the early 2000s, it has carried out a $100 million restoration through a public-private partnership aided by its Master Plan. Changes have extended to improving landscaping and habitat as well. The park's acreage includes meadows and trees and a variety of ponds, manmade lakes, and freshwater streams. For several years, the park has been restoring prairie and wetlands areas of the park. It has reduced flooding and attracted a much greater variety of birds and wildlife, which have settled in the new natural habitats.
Reviews of Forest Park (St. Louis)
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Submit a Review
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "Forest Park (St. Louis)", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.