The Murphy Ranch is a ranch built in Rustic Canyon, Los Angeles in the 1930s by Winona and Norman Stephens, who were sympathizers of the anti-semitic, white supremacist Silver Legion of America. The owner of record in 1933 was Jessie M. Murphy. Designed as a base for Nazi activities in the U.S., it was intended to be capable of being self-sustaining for long periods. The compound had a water storage tank, a fuel tank, a bomb shelter, and various outbuildings and bunkers. The estate’s main gate was designed by Paul Williams, a well-known African-American architect in the Southern California area.
On Monday, December 8, 1941, the day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, local police occupied the compound and detained members of the 50-strong caretaker force. As of 1990, it was abandoned and in a state of disrepair, and covered in graffiti. The site is currently owned by the city of Los Angeles. In early 2016, many of the ranch buildings were demolished, as they were deemed unsafe. A few buildings remain, including the power house, an all-concrete building that once contained the diesel generators. All entryways have been sealed.
|Santa Monica Pier (4.3 miles)|
Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area (9.1 miles)
Brady Bunch House (9.4 miles)
Runyon Canyon Park (9.8 miles)
Hollywood Walk of Fame (11 miles)
|Hollywood Sign (11.9 miles)|
Griffith Observatory (12.7 miles)
Solstice Canyon (14 miles)
Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park (14.4 miles)
Paradise Cove Beach (16 miles)
Maps & Directions:
Get Driving Directions:
Murphy Ranch, Sullivan Fire Road
Pacific Palisades, California 90272
This time, it's OK to leave a trace (Review)
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Submit a review of Murphy Ranch
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article “Murphy Ranch“, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.