Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park
The Walkway over the Hudson (also known as the Poughkeepsie Bridge, Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge, Poughkeepsie–Highland Railroad Bridge, and High Bridge) is a steel cantilever bridge spanning the Hudson River between Poughkeepsie, New York, on the east bank and Highland, New York, on the west bank. Built as a double track railroad bridge, it was completed on January 1, 1889, and formed part of the Maybrook Railroad Line of the New Haven Railroad.
It was taken out of service on May 8, 1974, after it was damaged by fire. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and its entry updated in 2008. The bridge was designated as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Civil Engineers in 2009. It was reopened on October 3, 2009, as a pedestrian walkway as part of the new Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park. The New York State Bridge Authority owns and is charged with maintaining the bridge structure (as directed by the Governor and Legislature in July, 2010). The park is operated by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. In 2017, the walkway hosted 593,868 visitors. The park connects the Hudson Valley Rail Trail in Highland to the Dutchess Rail Trail, and forms part of the Empire State Trail. At a length of 6,768 feet (2,063 m), it is the world's second-longest pedestrian footbridge at 1. 28 miles long. It held the title as the longest footbridge from its opening until fall 2016, when it was surpassed by the 7,974-foot long (2,430 m) Mile Into the Wild Walkway at 1. 51 miles in length.
Reviews of Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Submit a Review
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "Walkway over the Hudson", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.