American Gothic House
The American Gothic House, also known as the Dibble House, is a house in Eldon, Iowa, designed in the Carpenter Gothic style with a distinctive upper window. It was the backdrop of the 1930 painting American Gothic by Grant Wood, generally considered Wood’s most famous work and among the most recognized paintings in twentieth century American art. Grant Wood, who observed the house only twice in his lifetime, made only an initial sketch of the house—he completed American Gothic at his studio in Cedar Rapids.
First owned by Eldon resident Charles Dibble after its construction in 1881 and 1882, the home was (with one 1897 exception) a private residence until the late twentieth century. After a thirty-year preservation effort culminated with the donation of the house in 1991 to the State Historical Society of Iowa, the site now includes the original house in its 1930 form and a visitors center. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Since 1991, various caretaker-occupants have continued to rent the home privately.
Maps & Directions:
Get Driving Directions:
American Gothic House, 300 American Gothic St
Eldon, Iowa 52554
This time, it's OK to leave a trace (Review)
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Submit a review of American Gothic House
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article “American Gothic House“, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.