Women's Rights National Historic Park
Women's Rights National Historical Park was established in 1980, and covers a total of 6. 83 acres (27,600 m2) of land in Seneca Falls and nearby Waterloo, New York, United States.
The park consists of four major historical properties including the Wesleyan Methodist Church, which was the site of the Seneca Falls Convention, the first women's rights convention. The Elizabeth Cady Stanton House, and the homes of other early women's rights activists (the M'Clintock House and the Richard Hunt House) are also on display. The park includes a visitor center and an education and cultural center housing the Suffrage Press Printshop.
The Visitor Center lobby houses a large, life-size bronze sculpture, The First Wave, which consists of twenty figures representing women and men who attended the first Women's Rights Convention. Nine of the sculpture's figures represent actual participants and organizers of the convention: Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott, Mary Ann M'Clintock, Martha Wright, Jane Hunt, Frederick Douglass, James Mott, Thomas M'Clintock, and Richard Hunt. The other eleven figures represent the "anonymous" women and men who participated in the two-day convention, which took place on July 19 and 20, 1848, and which drew over 300 people. Many of the participants signed a "Declaration of Sentiments", the convention's defining document, which declared that "all men and women are created equal. "
Reviews of Women's Rights National Historic Park
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Submit a Review
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "Women's Rights National Historical Park", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.